Sunday, November 30, 2014

Is Jacob Ethical? Part 5



It is impossible for one culture to understand another, unless one has studied and  is familiar with that culture. I once heard a program on the BBC that illustrated this. Americans and British speak the same language, but often don't have a clue in interpreting what they have heard or seen. For instance, in the U.S., there is a culture of "male bonding". Friends will often hug, or place their arm on a buddy's shoulder. In England, this is rarely done. When Englishmen see this behavior in a movie, they assume that the characters are gay, and are puzzled to find out that they are not. Similarly, expectations differ as to the outcome of a movie. An American film and a British film might have the heroes surrounded and outnumbered. Death seems imminent.  But for the American audiences, the heroes MUST be rescued at the last moment by the Cavalry or the Marines. To a British audience, the heroes are expected to fight honorably to the end, going out in rousing songs of cheer.
We have a similar situation in the story of Jacob and Laban.Jacob is in love with Rachel, and asks for her hand. Her father, Laban, insists on seven years of labor for the privilege. This by itself seems strange, but becomes to us unbelievable when he substitutes the wrong girl! What can be more sacred than the bond between husband and wife? But Laban has different values. "Such is not done in our place; to give the younger before the older". The ethics of the situation are trampled upon by his desire to observe local customs. "No problem, marry Rachel too!", but this comes with another seven years' price tag of essentially slave labor. After fourteen years, Jacob arranges with Laban to earn some wealth of his own my getting a portion of the sheep that are born. Jacob, enjoying Divine blessing, becomes wealthy. Then he sees that Laban and his sons now hate him. He is told by G-d to run away, to return to the Land of his birth. Laban runs after him, ready to kill, but is warned by G-d not to harm Jacob. The discussion between the two men is telling. "Why did you run? I would have made a huge party if you told me you were going!" Jacob replies "you've cheated me over and over, constantly changing unilaterally the terms of my employment. I knew you would take everything, including my wives!" Laban's response "the girls are mine. The sheep are mine.Everything you see is mine."  REALLY? Jacob had worked hard for what he had. he had abided by Laban's rules, but had ultimately come out on top.Laban felt that everything that had ever belonged to him was still his, even if sold. One must keep up appearances for the neighbors, no matter what. Laban saw all this as ethics...his country's ethics. He has righteous indignation at Jacobs justice. Jacob, the moral man in the immoral situation, has defended himself (after being initially cheated) and is able to return home in wealth and dignity.
I once had a personal experience with this sort of cultural-based misunderstanding. When I lived in Israel, I made my primary living out of teaching classes for scribes; those who write the Torah scrolls and other holy objects. I made a deal with a businessman who also worked in this field. He would promote and administer my classes. He made a deal with a radio station to advertise my classes, for a large percentage of the revenue generated. Between the businessman and the radio station, I only got 10% of the income from the classes. I figured that that was an OK deal, temporarily, until the classes were well known and successful.After a few years, when things were going nicely, I asked that we renegotiate the terms. The manger of the radio station said "I made an investment. It paid off. Now you want me to voluntarily cede what is mine?" I saw this as Laban's "the girls are mine, the sheep are mine". The American values I was raised with , that hard work would be recognized and rewarded accordingly, were ruffled and offended, . I felt that I was now being cheated! As far as the manager was concerned, i was cheating him! So what if I was to remain in  poverty? The deal was to remain. I stopped giving classes under those circumstances. I felt better that I retain my dignity and  self respect rather than  submit to what I saw as unethical. The manager and the businessman both thought I was out of my mind.In retrospect, I realize that we were dealing with two different culture, two different mindsets.
Jacob's issue, however, was not about making a living. it was establishing the People of the Torah. There were many obstacles. Many cultures would expect him to be a silent victim. He would then be a universally beloved, if tragic, figure. But this is not the values of Torah.Was must do everything possible, within the bounds of law and morality, to see that G-d's purpose is fulfilled. For us, Jacob is a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment