Thursday, November 13, 2014

No Gunpowder

Another Rabbi Nachman story with a similar theme, but with a twist:
A man was travelling for a long time from village to village, selling small items in order to support his family. Once, after a long time on the road, he was heading home, when an armed bandit fell upon him. He pleaded, but to no avail. He had no choice but to give the bandit whatever he had. Finally, he said to the bandit: "Please do me a favor. No one will believe that I was robbed. They will say that I had nothing to bring home and made up this story. So please, I'll put my hat on the ground, and you shoot a hole in it, so that will be proof that I was robbed". The bandit agreed, and shot the hat. "Please, shoot it again, so they will see that I was really in grave danger." Again, the bandit shot. This happened several times, until the bandit said" "Sorry, I'd like to help, but I'm out of gunpowder". hearing that, the man easily overpowered the bandit, and got everything back.
Rabbi Nachman compared evil to a storm wind. it's powerful. It's frightening, But it does blow itself out. Evil is not all powerful. G-d is. Eventually, evil will remain without gunpowder. We need only to wait and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment