Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Purpose of Creation Part 2


In the previous article, we saw the view, based on a Midrash, that G-d wished to create a place that appeared to be devoid of Him, and create beings who, through their actions, we "bring Him in" to that place. A somewhat different direction is to be found in the Zohar. "Why did G-d create the world? Bgin d'yishtamod'in Leih" (Aramaic for "that they will know Him") This idea is explained and expanded by Rabbi Nachman of Breslov. It's not that He isn't in our world. He is! But he is hidden! In fact, the Hebrew world for "world" is Olam, which is derived from the root that means "hidden". Yes, the world was created for G-d to dwell, not so much through Man's actions, as through his consciousness and perception! Rabbi Nachman compares this to someone who is unable to see...because his hand is covering his eyes. Simply remove the hand, and everything is manifest. The problem is that we are committed to the illusion: wealth, honor, power, lust. All these, and more, convince us that we must NEVER put down our hand! The purpose of the Mitzvot is to act as sign posts (tziyyunim) to remind us that what we see is an illusion, and the only reality is G-d. Every time we see the mezzuzah on our door, we place the tefillin on our arm and head, whenever we perform any act that is sacred, not consistent with our usual struggle for the above mentioned artificial goals, we remember to put down our hand and see G-d; thereby fulfilling His purpose in Creation. I think that we can say that the first approach is DOING to bring G-d to me, the second is BEING in a way where I see his presence that, unbeknownst to me, was in fact the only thing that ever was here.
I think that these two approaches are two sides of the same coin. G-d wishes to dwell with Man. There are times when he seems so distant, I must draw Him to me. There are times that if I only drop my mundane goals and defenses, I can see that He is not really distant at all. We need both perceptions at different junctures in our lives, even at different times of a single day. Both "enable" G-d to dwell in our world, with us.
In my next post, I will discuss a very different and radical approach to this issue explained by the Holy Ari, Rabbi Isaac Luria. It is so radical, that some refuse to even consider it. But, I think you will agree, it is one that makes a tremendous amount of sense simultaneously on the Cosmic and Personal levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment