Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Grease Merchant


Rabbi Nachman of Breslov was a fourth-generation Hasidic leader. By that time, much of the original enthusiasm of the movement had died down (with important exceptions!). People went to the Hasidic Rebbes not so much to learn closeness to G-d, but rather to receive their blessings for success in their mundane affairs.
Rabbi Nachman was one of the exceptions. He taught joy in Divine Service; connecting ourselves to G-d in all aspects of life. Once, a man came to him with a request for a blessing to become wealthy. Rabbi Nachman replied "I'm not a grease merchant!". As the man looked puzzled, Rabbi Nachman told the following parable:
A wholesaler in fine silks had just sold several thousand Rubles worth of silk to a retailer. He helped his customer load the silk onto his wagon. The customer said "Oh, I need some grease for the axles of my wagon!" The wholesaler said: "There's a bucket of grease. help yourself!" A passer-by saw this and approached the wholesaler. "I would also like to buy some grease!" The wholesaler said "I am not a grease merchant. I have conducted great business with this man. He needed a little grease, so I gave him some. But I am not a grease merchant!" Rabbi Nachman said "I teach my followers how to learn Torah, how to pray, how to find Eternity...how to find G-d! I conduct great "Business" with them. But they need to eat and run their households. So I pray for them and their needs are met. But I am not a grease merchant! If you have come in search of G-d, I will do "business" with you. Then I will also pray for your material well-being. But you come only for the money? I am not a grease merchant!"

No comments:

Post a Comment