Monday, July 25, 2016

The Conversion Crisis part 10


A fact in discussing conversions to Judaism, is that the overwhelming majority of converts are female (in my experience,about 10 to 1). I know of no research as to the reason for this, My observations of male-female relationjships are that about one third of men dislike women (although they may find them useful), one third like women, but are unable to understand their thought patterns and are constantly bewildered by their thoughts and actions, and another third like women, and have taken the trouble to try to understand them. The Talmud remarked "women are a people unto themselves". All those who know me, will testify that I fit into that third group. There is a statement in the Talmud that a woman "understands more than a man", but also "women have weak Daat" (usually translated as "weak minds", but actually means "weak ability to connect with ideas"). In my opinion, putting this into modern parlance, women have the remarkable ability to see the implications of things,far beyond men, as their thinking is far less linear. A woman notices details that few men would, as well as the ability to extrapolate the implications of those details. On the other hand, a woman is far less likely to accept an argument based on doctrine or ideology, if it goes against her inner feelings and instincts. In a paternalistic, doctrinal context, a woman's intuition can be seen as dangerous. In TANACH, we find female prophets, even advising Kings, but not advising sages. Women are closer to G-d, while men are closer to rules. If we believe in the Divine origin of these rules, both are vital. In my opinion (and all of this is my opinion), female converts, who are the majority,  can be seen as a great threat to any established system. In Judaism, in particular, women coming in from the outside, will often question basic assumptions that rabbis are often hesitant to deal with. "Because I said so, that's why" will satisfy few woman. But, unknowingly, these women are falling into very old controversies, that are still smoldering. They are unaware of stepping on very sore toes. I believe that much of the hesitancy about conversion stems from this. Consciousness raising is essential on both sides.I will elaborate in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment