Friday, December 16, 2016

Living in the Land of Israel part 5


No figure in Jewish history has placed more emphasis on the spiritual significance of the Land of Israel than Rabbi Nachman of Breslov. He saw it as the quintessence of Holiness, which each Jew must visit at least once. He embarked on a pilgrimage  in the early Summer of 1798, without money or provisions, in the middle of the Napoleonic wars. He was captured by pirates, nearly sold into slavery, ransomed by the Jewish community of Rhodes, endured the shelling of Akko (Acre) by the French; just to walk four cubits in the Holy Land. He arrived in Haifa on the Eve of Rosh Hashana, walked a few paces, and made the amazing statement "I now understand what none have understood before, and I have been given a gift of Rosh Hashana" (I have explained these statements elsewhere). He then said to his travelling companion (his identity has not come down to us, but there are two theories), "Hire passage back for immediately after the Holiday" The man balked, and said that he wanted to feast his eyes on the sights of the Holy Land. Rabbi Nachman, who was never stubborn about anything, agreed to stay for a few months, visiting the fledgling Hasidic communities in Tiberius and Safed. He never mentions about going there to live. His student, Rabbi Natan, made an almost identical trip in 1822. In his writings, Rabbi Natan does praise those who live there. Since then, most Breslover Hasidim have either lived there, or are making efforts to get there. Rabbi Nachman's and Rabbi Natan's deep mystical insights form the main backdrop to Rav Kook's teachings, albeit without the political twist, and cognitive dissonance, that few Breslovers would endorse. I have written in the past about my teacher, Rabbi Nissen David Kiwak. I met him in 1985, when he was just thirty years old, and was "bowled over" by his incredible insights, as well as his way of seeing through events, in a way that is, in my opinion, close to prophecy. After seventeen years of suffering under the Israeli "system" (not that there is anything systematic about it), Sima and I were totally beaten down, our idealism betrayed, robbed of both goods and dignity. I asked Rav Kiwak if it would be permissible to leave (not a simple question). He said "Of course. At this point, it is forbidden to live here". (The "Second Intifada" was underway; bombs exploding every few hours, with the government doing nothing.) I said "But YOU live here!" He answered "No I don't. I live in the Holy One,, blessed be He". It took me a few years to understand that remark. He meant that he was surrendering himself to the Will of G-d, and relished every moment in the Holy Land. If death was around the corner, that was up to G-d, and essentially none of our business. He went on "The description of the Holiness of the Land could fill up so many books, that this whole apartment building would be filled with books. I love Eretz Yisrael. I also love to wear Tefillin. But when I have a stomach ache I take my Tefillin off." I began to understand. The halachah says that if one has stomach or intestinal discomfort, one must remove the Tefillin (some say because the body is then "unclean", others say because of distraction). Tefillin are amazing. But if one is so distracted, there is no point. The rabbi is not distracted by violence and terrorism. For a long time, two thugs stood menacingly at his door, hired by a major Hasidic Rebbe, who claimed that Rav Kiwak had used black magic (!) to attract the Rebbe's grandson as a disciple, and later as a son in law. Rav Kiwak ignored everything. But for me, and many others, the tensions of life in Israel, the government oppression of religion, the indignities of day-to-day life in Israeli society, prevented any appreciation of the Holiness of the Land. All this was, in effect, a "stomach ache". It was time for me to "take off the Tefillin" I consider these words to be among the most vital teachings that I received from him. A few years ago, my son, Shmuel and his wife asked the rabbi if they should move back to the Land. It was the eve of Rosh Hashana, just a few feet from the holy resting place of Rabbi Nachman. Rav Kiwak said "of course." When they came home, and informed me of this, I was bewildered. I told my son "ask him again, when it is not Rosh Hashana, and you are not in Uman". He did so. Rav Kiwak said "Of course. When you own an apartment in Jerusalem free and clear, when you have saved $200,000 in cash, when you can assure me that you will ignore the news media, keep your head in the Holy Books, and speak with no one." My son was only to come when he could make sure he would not have a stomach ache. That is possible for very few.

No comments:

Post a Comment