Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Studying Torah 7


In my last post, I outlined my system of study sessions. But what of the beginner? The same basic system would apply, albeit with modifications. I would first concentrate on books that inspire. Hasidic, especially Breslov, literature, much of which is ideal for this, is widely available. I especially recommend "Crossing the Narrow Bridge" by Rabbi Chaim Kramer, along with other works published by the Breslov Research Institute. I would urge caution with the books by Rabbi Shalom Arush. They are beautiful but often talk in superlatives that tend to frighten people away. In addition, they often present things as halachah that are actually only opinions. I have never really "resonated" with Musar literature; but many are inspired by this genre, particularly the works of RAMCHAL. I would avoid books of speculative philosophy. They lead nowhere; even if written by great rabbis. The same holds true for works attempting to reconcile Torah and Science. Usually, they are more apologetics than real information. Take Torah as a separate discipline, independent of other subjects. On the contrary, try to see other subjects in the context of Torah. One should go through the Five Books of the Torah each year. For those who must do so in English, I recommend "The Living Torah" by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan. I would also make it my business to go through the Prophets and the Writings, even superficially. Besides this, I would put an emphasis on practical halachah, especially the clear and concise works of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef. I do not recommend either Mishnah Berurah or the Kitzur (Abridged) Shulchan Aruch. Little by little, as one becomes comfortable with this schedule, other areas can and should be added. You will be amazed at the amount of knowledge one will amass with an investment of even half an hour a day. A controversial area is study for Noachides and potential converts. In my opinion, study as much as you can. I understand the classical reticence for non-Jews studying Torah to refer to those who learn it in order to mock it. If you seek the G-d of Israel, you will find Him in the Torah. Especially today, where few works have been left untranslated, I can see no reason to restrict access for any seeker. For Jew or non-Jew, it is very helpful to find a knowledgeable person who will allow you to "pick his brains". But seek one who is willing to show you sources. I have met many people who quote RAMBAM, who never actually read RAMBAM. Worse yet, are those who put ideas into RAMBAM's mouth.  The same applies to those quoting other rabbis, or even non-Jewish sources. The rabbi who helped me a great deal when I first began learning, would, sadly, make claims against Socrates that came directly from Aristophanes' parody of Socrates in "The Clouds". Not that I am a fan of Socrates, but the rabbi simply proved to me that he was quoting things of which he had no knowledge. What else was he distorting? Another idea to bear in mind is Rabbi Nachman's teaching that when the Talmudic rabbis said that when one comes before the Heavenly Tribunal for judgment, the first question one is asked is "Kava'ta Ittim L'Torah?" (Did you fix definite times for Torah study?). There is actually a secondary meaning to "kava'ta". Did you STEAL time for Torah? At moments between clients in your shop, or while riding a bus or subway, did you take out a book and study? A huge part of my knowledge was gained when I was in college, and had a twenty-minute subway ride in each direction. I went through a holy book each week! When I went to graduate school, I had a two-hour commute each way., That meant a book a day! Today, a vast literature is available in recorded form. Even when driving a car, one is able to "steal" knowledge and inspiration. In my next post, I will explore the issue of Torah for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment