Thursday, October 30, 2014

Unknowable



"They have left me, and not kept my Torah" (Jeremiah 16:11) The rabbis say: "I wish that if they leave Me, they will, nevertheless, keep my Torah". But what point is there to Torah, if it's without a sense of G-d? The Baal Shem Tov gives a parable. Two men wanted to see the King. They arrived at the royal palace. One was so overcome by its grandeur and immensity, that he decided that even the palace is unknowable, how much more so the King himself! He left and went back home. The second men said "Well, maybe I can't know the King, but I must, nevertheless, see what I can see. He went from chamber to chamber. he saw beautiful art work, intricate sculptures. He met the King's advisers, and was overwhelmed by their brilliance. He finally decided that everything was magnificent beyond his wildest dreams, but seeing and knowing the King would be beyond his capabilities. The Baal Shem Tov said "Neither saw the King. But the second man had a real sense of the Kings greatness, the first one only felt this superficially". Man can only have a inkling of G-d. As Yehudah HaLevi said "If I knew Him, I'd be Him". But, by studying the Torah, walking through the chambers, seeing the magnificence, we begin to know what it is that we do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment